Sunday, March 16, 2008

If It's Broke, Then Fix It, published in Jul/Aug 2006 az3sixty magazine

“What happened to you!!?”

I’m hearing a lot of that lately. . Having your arm in a cast and sling sure makes you stand out in a crowd and is a great conversation starter. I’m getting used to the looks of shock and sympathy, curiosity and concern. I have to admit, at first it was a little fun. I enjoyed the attention and good natured teasing and well wishes. “Did your husband get out of line so you whacked him?” “Trying to get out of housework, aren’t you?” “were you rock climbing? Snowboarding? sky diving? Swimming with sharks?”

No, actually, the truth is much less glamorous than that. I was jogging on a rocky trail and tripped and fell and broke my wrist. I didn’t even chip my French manicure but somehow shattered a bone. Venturing out in public I can now see how my clumsy moment measures up to those of total strangers sharing their broken bone adventures with me. So far the best story has been the guy who broke his arm when he slipped on dog poop while taking out the trash. Some one’s even less cool than me.! It reminds me of when I was pregnant and thus a target for the public’s pregnancy-related pearls of wisdom. It was entertaining and I usually got a good laugh, especially when a gas station attendant in Santa Rosa, NM once asked me if I was going to give my twins the same name. But here I am, once again the recipient of lots of great stories and a few oddball queries.

My new experiences continue with each medical visit. I haven’t seen the inside of a lot of hospitals, fortunately, so some one please tell me, when did all the doctors go from being wise gray gentlemen to nice polite young men and women, younger than…..well, me. That’s almost as weird of a feeling as your wrist dangling down at the wrong angle. These youthful doctors, though, were great. My favorite part was when they got a sharpie pen and wrote yes on the arm that was to have surgery, and no on the other. And they’re going to let me pick what color cast I want! I suppose breaking an arm is a childhood rite of passage I missed, so maybe I will choose Barbie pink when the pins come out! And maybe I will decorate those bland hospital-issue slings with some bling.

Almost immediately after that fateful stumble, I began compiling a mental list of all the things I can’t do with one hand. At first it seemed novel to wear yoga pants every day (can’t button or zip). Soon I began to miss dressing up. I missed wearing jewelry, I missed being able to do my own hair instead of relying on my daughters ponytail making ability. One day I was home alone and had to go hunt down a neighbor kid to tie my shoes. Despite the best efforts of the husband and kids, the house began deteriorating into chaos. I was tired of eating takeout and my couch sitting body was even missing its exercise routine. Gradually I succumbed to the gloom of self pity. Even answering “what happened to you?“ was losing its charm. I was stuck with a broken arm while everyone else was having fun.

Well, Wallowing and whining don’t mend broken bones. But apparently a positive attitude can be beneficial. Dr. bernie siegel, well known for his beliefs in the mind-body link of healing, has said, “If you watch how nature deals with adversity, continually renewing itself, you can’t help but learn.” I think of new grass growing on a blackened plain, recently devastated by fire. I think of ants regrouping over and over no matter how many times you wreck their anthill. And now I visualize my radius bone--immediately beginning new growth, rgenerating, expected to be fully healed within 6 weeks. What a miracle that our bodies can correct that wrong so efficiently.
Doctors and researchers have studied this mind body healing connection, and as dr. siegel sums up, “the simple truth is that happy people generally don’t get sick.” Whether you are battling a cold or something more serious, it’s worth a try. Picture the strong healthy cells in your body doing their job--running around like a bunch of ants, determined to fix what is wrong. It may sound silly but, hey, what have you got to lose?

Now let’s put that positive attitude to work. If nothing else, you’ll be a lot more pleasant to live with as you heal. So here are some of the good things about having a broken arm. Pre-cut vegetables at the grocery store. I can still walk. I had bought 2 new pairs of yoga pants the day before I biffed it. Catching up on my reading and movie watching. Getting to ask cute young stock boys to help me with my purchases. Paper plates and cups so I don’t have to do dishes. I can still drive. Friends and family bringing food. mother in law and grandmother’s laundry help! And last but not least, pedicures. It’s the one indulgence I don’t feel too guilty about. My lefthanded mascara application leaves a little to be desired, but at least my toes look fabulous. Let the healing begin!

No comments: